Basic Skin Care
First step is to determine your skin type.QUICK TIPS FOR CLEANSING YOUR SKIN
One of the most important factors of skin care is skin cleansing. Because dirt, pollution, residual makeup, etc. can cause havoc to the skin leading to skin ailments and even hastening of the aging process.
Here’s what you need to do, obvious may be, but not practiced as it should be:
• Always wash your hands clean first. This will prevent the transfer of bacteria to your face.
• Start with your hairline first, as hairstyling products attract dirt, and then sweep cleanser over face and lips and down the neck to beyond where you apply foundation.
• After you’ve applied your cleanser, gently massage it in with the balls of your fingers and leave it on for a minute or so to allow make-up to melt away. Then use a soft cotton ball to wipe away dirt, pollution, and cosmetic build-up without tugging at the skin.
• Then wash face clean with water and a good quality face wash so that all traces of dirt is gone and skin becomes perfectly clean.
Learn more about facial skin cleansers. Prepare your own skin cleansers.
Toning is necessary for all skin types and should be made a part of daily skin care routine. Toning is refreshing, improves blood circulation and adds a healthy glow to the skin.
• Soak cotton wool pads in skin tonic and wipe face in outward and upward strokes.
• Each movement should end at the temples. Apply gentle pressure at the temples.
• While applying toner on the forehead, start from the centre and go outward on either side, again ending at the temples.
• Apply toner on chin in circular motions.
• Tone the neck too, stroking downwards from the chin.
• Tone around the eyes, but very lightly.
Making skin tonic at home is simple and easy. All you require is rosewater and witch-hazel. Rosewater is one of the best-known skin tonics and is easily available. Witch-hazel is available at a chemist or homeopathy shop. Toners vary according to skin types:
For very greasy skin
Mix equal quantities of rosewater and witch-hazel and store in a jar.
For dry skin
Mix ¾ cup rosewater, ¼ cup witch-hazel and ½ teaspoon glycerin or honey and store in a jar.
More about skin toners.
USE A FOAMING BATH TO TONE YOUR SKIN
• Bathing foams with plant extracts like mint and rosemary are ideal for maintaining your skin’s firmness.
• They tone the skin by providing nutrients and improving blood circulation.
• For instance, balsam (which contains pine extracts) improves breathing by improving oxygen intake.
• And finally remember that toning foam baths are also great energy boosters.
HOW DO I CARE FOR MY SKIN THIS WINTER?
Winter’s here and it’s time to watch out for dry skin, coarse hair, shriveled cuticles and rough hands…Caring for skin becomes a
daunting task during winters. Skin turns ultra sensitive and tends to give in to the pressures of pollution and seasonal imbalances rather easily.
A few simple tricks will however, ensure that skin stays supple and pretty pink, here is how:
• Use cleansing milk to dislodge dirt and grime especially during winters and if you suffer from dry skin.
• Use a generous helping of moisturizer for a smooth, clean complexion. However do not apply moisturizer while stepping out of the house, that way you will only attract more dust, the best time to dab on the magic option is in the evening, after a warm bath.
• Your face will thank you for the invigorating cold cream and skin tonic massage you give it just before hitting the sack.
• Limit the use of make-up during winter months, as skin tends to burst into pimples.
To give body skin a glow, add a spoonful of olive oil to a bucket of hot water for your bath. This gives a glow to the skin. If the skin is very dry massage with warm olive oil fifteen minutes prior to bath.
Vitamin C in a daily dosage of 2000 mg is strongly recommended to help you maintain your good looks and prevent the appearance of “broken blood vessels.” Vitamin C is one of the building blocks of blood vessel walls and helps strengthen them. This leads to more resilient skin.
NSI Vitamin C – 1000 mg icon – Get vitamins at or below wholesale prices.